↑ Return to Who are we

All Saints Churchill

as4

All Saints’ was built in 1837 to replace the original village church, which had fallen into disrepair. The old church building is now the village Heritage Centre . The imposing tower is a 2/3 scale copy of Magdalen College tower in Oxford and the hammer beam roof of the nave is modeled on Christ Church hall, Oxford. The style is Georgian, Gothic revival, with wide aisles and no pillars to interrupt the view. A project to mark the millennium provided a meeting room and facilities at the west end which are well-used by church and community. The original balcony, which was removed in the later part of the 19th century, was also restored. A fire in 2007 caused considerable damage but the subsequent repair and restoration has left the building looking clean and bright, as it was when first consecrated. A fine stained glass east window commemorates James Langston, the local squire, who commissioned and paid for the building.

 

as3

as2

as1